The Adoption is Final

Finalization Day Banner.fw

I made the sign with a girlfriend using a Cricut. There wasn’t enough room to space the words, but you get the idea. =)

It’s done.

The journey we began in 2012 is come to it’s legal end. We are now proud parents. We finalized the adoption of our son.

We weren’t sure what to expect the day of finalization. We brought my parents and his parents. The court was doing adoptions and juvenile justice cases. We had to wait in the hallway for a woman that we’d never met before (our adoption worker couldn’t make it). She found us by walking up to our group of eight and saying, “You’re not here for adoptions”. Way to start it off! Lol

She said that she was doing three other adoptions and we’d have to wait an hour or two (my mom swore she heard her say, “Or three”) until she was done with the other ones. Fortunately, the judge felt differently. Our case was called and we all entered the court room. We sat at the table with the baby and everyone else sat on the back bench. The judge asked where our social worker was and we told her that she was down the hall. After calling the other court room, the judge decided that we’d start without her. YES!

She walked over to the table and asked us to say and spell our complete legal names. Then she asked each of us if we wanted to adopt and if we were okay with our spouse adopting. If felt like getting married all over again. I started crying and He misted up a bit. She said her spiel about us officially being parents and then we took TONS of photos. Our judge was so cool!

She gave the baby a teddy bear, let us hang our two HUGE pennants (thanks Circut!) across her desk and had her staff take photos. We got group photos with the judge, group photos with the family, photos with each set of grandparents and photos with just us and the baby. The judge smiled just as big as us. The finalization was quick and painless.

After that, we all shuffled into the hallway to await the official paperwork. The social worker said it would be at least twenty minutes and while she was saying that, our names were called. The judge had her staff submit our paperwork while we took photos so by the time we made it into the hallway the paperwork was done!



We arrived at 7:30am (we were told to arrive by 8am) and were walking back to our cars by 9:30am. It was too early for lunch, so we headed over to His parent’s house and ate a delicious (and huge) breakfast prepared by his dad.

We took off that afternoon to celebrate with a staycation. It’s strange that things changed legally for our family (and it was an emotional rush), but nothing changed. It’s been us three for the last year. I can’t wait for the next fifty years!  =)

2 thoughts on “The Adoption is Final

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s