In case you haven’t been following along on our passport drama for kid two here’s the skinny:
- We move and misplace original birth certificate for our daughter.
- We ask adoption worker for another copy of birth certificate and she says no.
- Adoption worker says we can get a passport without a birth certificate.
- We finalize the adoption.
- We apply for passport with birth records.
- We go on staycation and place mail on hold. We get an email saying that we were receiving a letter from the passport folks. We return and get no letter. We tell USPS and no one cares. We end up calling the passport folks.
- We speak with a customer service rep who tells us he can’t tell us what was in the letter but he’ll have someone from the office call us to chat.
- We miss the call.
- We return the call and no one picks up. We leave a message.
- A woman returns the call and tells us that 1) the laws have changed and you do need a birth certificate to get a passport and 2) we need to sign a declaration saying that she doesn’t have a social yet.
- We’re waiting on the letter to arrive in our inbox so we can get the birth certificate in the mail.